Whose America is it? Does it belong to those Scots-Irish who have lived in these United States for generations, or does it belong to the people who meet a different profile? There is no disputing the fact that our demographics are changing. And that seems to be causing a lot of pain among those who appear to be “left behind.”
Here’s a little summary from National Public Radio of what is happening to the racial composition of the U.S. as of 2017:
- The Asian population grew by 3.0 percent to 21.4 million.
- People who identified as being of two or more races grew by 3.0 percent to 8.5 million.
- The Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander population grew by 2.1 percent to 1.5 million.
- The Hispanic population (including all races) grew by 2.0 percent to 57.5 million.
- The American Indian and Alaska Native population grew by 1.4 percent to 6.7 million.
- The black or African-American population grew by 1.2 percent to 46.8 million.
- The white population grew by 0.5 percent to 256.0 million.
- The non-Hispanic white alone population grew by 5,000 people, remaining at 198.0 million.
Just take a quick look at that last item again. The non-Hispanic white population has grown by only 5,000 to 198,000,000. That represents a 0.25% growth rate. We casually tend to treat Hispanics as a separate race. According to the Bureau of the Census, Hispanics can classify themselves as White, Black (Cubans for example), Asian (some Filipinos for example), and American Indian (some Navajo for example). Now compare that measly 0.25% growth rate to all the other growth rates in the above table.
While our Presidente claims to love Hispanics, he probably only loves Devin Nunes and a handful of other of his supporters who happen to be Hispanic. All the rest of them are rapists or worse. Doesn’t he know that he represents what once was a strapping majority and is on its way to becoming a minority? That’s already happened to Los Angeles. What is Herr Trumpf going to do? Deport Asians, Blacks, and—Heaven forfend!—American Indians?
My guess is that there is going to be a reckoning at some point. What is happening to the United States is a throwback to the Know-Nothings of the 1840s who were so violently opposed to Irish immigration. Eventually, the Irish won; and even Trumpf accepts them as sort of, kind of white. The Republicans are holding on to power by the skin of their teeth, and due largely to outrageous gerrymandering.
Does racism have a future in America? I don’t think so. We all have a part to play in carrying on the American Dream.
By the way, what in blue blazes is a taco bowl?